Sunday, May 23, 2010

you say tomato...


My tomato and pepper plants are here! I ordered them from Seed Savers Exchange quite a few months ago. They arrived a few days ago in a cardboard box ready to be put in the ground. In hindsight, it probably would have been more sustainable for me to get my starter plants locally but I really love to support Seed Savers. Their plants are heirloom varieties, meaning that the seeds are saved from year to year to maintain the integrity of that particular variety. I ordered Orange Bell, Sweet Chocolate and Wenk's Yellow Hot peppers and Gold Medal, Velvet Red and Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I hope they are productive so that I can share them with friends, can them, cook with them and eat them!







1 comment:

  1. Several of the plants that i have are from Seed Saver's Seeds. Specifically the cilantro, basil, & dill starts i've been coddling. They seem to be doing well so far!! (Fingers crossed!)
    Some of my more established plants are heirloom as well, those i got from either the Farmer's Market, or from The Henry's Plant Farm (obviously local) so i feel as though i'm doing my part both ways!

    ReplyDelete