Thursday, July 29, 2010

The heat is on.


The heat is on, my friends. It's been so hot and humid lately. Everyday I get home from work, jump into my yard work clothes and go straight outside. I water, weed, harvest and sweat like crazy. There are plenty of tomatoes and peppers but they are still green. The okra is producing so fast I don't know what to do with it all. I must find time to pickle some. The cucumber vines are trellised and it's a wall of huge leaves and prickly vines. This makes it hard to find the cucumbers. They are so camouflaged that I've found a few after it's become too late, swollen and yellow. I've pulled up all of the potatoes and carrots. It's so satisfying to get my hands dirty and discover what's been growing under there all of this time. Ahh, the joys of gardening!


Clematis


First okra harvest.


Fingerling potatoes.


Butterfly bush with daisies and echinacea in the background


Our dove eggs finally hatched!


You can barely see them but there are two sweet little doves in there!


Tuberoses (about to bloom) are the most delicious smelling flowers ever.


Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar. Apparently they love dill.


This stripped plant is what my dill looked like after they ravaged it. They can have all they want!

Crazy carrot harvest! Any ideas for what to make with them?


The biggest Dragon carrot that I pulled. Sadly, it went in the compost because I imagined that it wouldn't taste good, but I had to show you how big they can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment