Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Those vampires won't be coming around here!


Holy cow, there is just so much to say. Chris and I went to Colorado for a week and the garden went crazy. We had wonderful house guests (thank you Kristin and Eric!) who took care of our yard and our kitty and it rained a TON! Everything is so abundant and beautiful, it's just breathtaking. I harvested the most gigantic bundle of basil tonight. I spent 2 hours in the kitchen, with my food processor whirling away, making 2 quarts of pesto. I'll probably give a little away and Chris will eat the rest, because he LOVES it. I love to freeze pesto in little packets for fresh summer meals in the middle of winter. We are rethinking the lower garden for next year. Maybe we will combine both gardens and fence them in with something a little more permanent. We are so overwhelmed with ideas of new projects--the gardens, the deck area that I want to be more like an outside room, the storage room that I want to turn into a guest room. The possibilities are endless. It's great to be back home and at work where I love the people, the atmosphere and the meaning behind all that I do. Check out what the Merc is up to these days. It's so cool how involved in the community we are.



My insane basil harvest!


Vampires won't be coming around here!





Two kinds of cukes!


Basil mania!


Two kinds of okra!


Cosmos and tomatoes!


Echinacea!


Basil and nasturtium.


Prepping basil for pesto.


Ready for some whirling!


The finished product.


And finally, our newest family member, a dove who has made a nest in the same fern as our finch family. There is one egg. Maybe she will come back next year too.

1 comment:

  1. Lowie!! Amazing! I'm seriously so impressed. And I want some of your fresh pesto please!! Hope Colorado was great! Miss you and love you!!

    ReplyDelete