Monday, March 29, 2010

I think I can, I think I can


I love anything pickled and I love the idea of eating from my garden all year long. So I was really excited to learn how to “put by” my own vegetables. Putting food by is the classic reference for food preservation, e.g. canning, drying, preserving and freezing. Last summer I learned how to pickle and can green beans, cucumbers, spiced carrots, and peppers from my garden and okra that I bought at the Farmer’s Market. This year, I have tailored my garden plans so that I am growing plenty to can. It’s going to be a pickling kind of summer!


These are a few photos from my pickling project last year:







4 comments:

  1. Excellent!! I am so excited to read this! I've been very interested in canning this year, so i am glad to hear that there are others considering undertaking this task!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited about your blog! I read your article in the Merc News and decided to check out your blog. I've always been scared to try canning or pickling food, but maybe this year I will try. What kind of fence did you put around your garden last year? That looks very helpful to keep the rabbits out. How large are your two areas that you are planning for this year? I always end up putting things too close together by the time they grow to full size.
    Looking forward to following your progress! April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am helping to plan the 2nd Annual Lawrence Food Garden Tour and we need more gardens. Would you be interested in being involved? I figured with your passion and willingness to share your gardening experiences you would be a great addition! If you are interested please contact me at ckosirog@yahoo.com and I can fill you in on all the details!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. April,
    Thanks for checking out my blog! The fence is made from reeds or some kind of grass. My husband buried it a few inches into the ground to keep bunnies out. I have never actually measured my garden space but you can kind of see how big it is in the pictures from last years garden. I think you should definitely try canning! I know it's intimidating but once you learn it's a snap! Happy spring!
    Lowen

    ReplyDelete