Monday, March 22, 2010

An elongated, fast-swimming cephalopod mollusk with ten arms...that tastes delicious


I work at a grocery store. Not just any grocery store. It’s the best for hundreds of miles around. In fact, we have folks drive into town from halfway across the state to shop at our store. We have over 600 local products, a certified organic produce department, a soon to be completely sustainable seafood department, and an amazing wellness department, which I help run. I should also mention that I love the people that I work with. They are the bee’s knees. There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t have an episode of side splitting laughter. It’s great. Another perk to working at a natural food store is that I lightly grocery shop almost everyday. I can choose from the freshest seafood or from produce that has just been dropped off by a local farmer. The other day I walked by the seafood case and saw that we had fresh squid. I immediately knew I would be cooking up some fried calamari that night. Not having a clue how to make it, I walked right over to our head chef and asked for a quick lesson on how it was prepared. Everything is right there at my fingertips, even advice about food preparation. I always keep my eye open for a recipe that the Merc can help me carry out.









2 comments:

  1. Lowen: Wonderful stuff! I can't wait to come visit and have you prepare my favorite dish--calamari! And I want to know more about that cast iron pan.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lowen, what fun it is to read your blog. Calamari is not one of my favorite dishes, but you sure make it look good. Love to you and Chris! (Aunt) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete