Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Those darn bugs.


The garden is slowing down quite a bit. We have cucumber beetles and it's a huge bummer. They have almost completely killed my cucumber plants and we have to pick tomatoes before they are ripe or else the bugs will devour them. However, the okra just keeps on truckin' unscathed. I'd say that it's been our most bountiful crop. Brian from Henry's Plant Farm told me that after about 3-5 years of gardening I'll have those kinks (like cucumber beetles) worked out. You have to expect the unexpected and those problems are tougher to solve if you want to grow organically.






I did some canning yesterday with my friend, Josh. It's nice to have a partner there to help you. We canned 14 jars of okra and pickling cucumbers. I L-O-V-E pickled okra.




Our windowsill is lined with ripening tomatoes. Mmmmm!


My garlic chives just flowered.




Look at how tall the okra is in the background! It's almost getting hard to reach up to harvest the okra.


These peppers are called Wenk's Yellow Hots. I'm too scared to eat them. I know they are too hot for me. I think I like to grow them to give away.


That entire picture is our HUGE cherry tomato plant with NOT A SINGLE TOMATO on it. What on earth?


This is called a True Lemon Cucumber. They are so cute and delicious.


An okra flower.


There were 2 of these gorgeous butterflies drifting around the garden and I watched them for about 15 minutes. They made me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment