Tuesday, August 10, 2010

She's a beauty.


I was preparing myself for disappointment because my tomatoes were all green and have been that way for a while. There are a lot of them on the plants, there just wasn't even a hint of them ripening. Then, all of a sudden, I peeked in one of the plants and saw two of the most gorgeous, gigantic tomatoes I've ever laid my eyes on. I'm not good at guessing weight but from buying tomatoes at The Merc and the farmers market, I'm going to guess this one is close to 2 1/2 pounds. How 'bout that?! She's a beauty. It's going to be hard to eat her. (But not that hard.)








It's really interesting to watch this flower close its petals and turn into an okra pod.




This is from a Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana). They are an invasive plant but I really like them. The flowers turn into dark purple berries. The young shoots are eaten in the South and the root and berries are used sparingly in the Herbal Medicine. They are poisonous so can you imagine what they are used for?


Wild Grape and this vine (which I don't know the name for) are taking over!


There is a 4 ft tall bird feeder somewhere in there. It was fun to see it slowly disappear over the last 3 months.


We have so many cardinals. They are really fun to watch. I think my bird feeder is the party spot for the female cardinals.

The baby doves have flown away but we have been seeing them hanging around our yard. They also visited me in my dreams the other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment