Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Lawrence Farmers' Market


I hardly ever get to go to the Farmers' Market because I work on Saturdays, so when I get the chance it's quite the treat! Chris and I went a couple of weeks ago to pass out flyers for the Lawrence Food Garden Tour which is this coming weekend and we are on it! (Shameless plug.) These are a few of my friends that have booths at the market:


Blackbird Bakery. Alison works with me at The Merc and makes delicious baked goods. This particular day I had a Moroccan asparagus pie thingie. Yum.


My dear friend, Audrey, and her son Lichen run Blessed Thistle Farm. And she sells tinctures at The Merc!




Dan and Cole Cottin of MAD Farm. Cole used to work at The Merc in the produce department and this is their first summer as full time farmers. I think their booth is extra fabulous!












Jozie from Earth Flowers. They also sell flowers to The Merc.


Kevin Irick and his hot house tomatoes. He also sells at The Merc!


Lots and lots of Merc connections! We have a really big emphasis on buying local and the Farmers' Market really makes it apparent to me. Just walking through the market I have relationships with many of the farmers and growers or I at least recognize them from their weekly drop-offs of product. It's such a great feeling to be a part of the local food movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment