Monday, February 21, 2011

Seeds in the Sunlight


I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to starting seeds indoors. Luckily I know a lot of experienced gardeners and I have some really great reference books. The past two years (my first two years of gardening) I have only direct seeded into the garden. However, this is slightly limiting because there are many types of plants that like to be put in the ground while it's still cold outside. So this year I will add to my garden selection kale, fennel, cabbage and leeks. They are supposed to be planted indoors in flats and placed in direct sunlight or under a grow light 4-6 weeks before the last frost. They will go into the garden just before the last frost because they like a little chilly weather.

I also found my gardening journal tucked away in my office. In most gardening books they express how helpful it is to keep track of what goes on in your yard year after year. This is so you don't make the same mistake twice. I didn't enter anything in it last year, which is not very helpful, so this year I'm picking it back up. Here are a few entries from my first year gardening...







These are two of my favorite reference books.






Here they are! All ready to get to growin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment