Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Say cheese!


I have this awesome book called Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz and it has many recipes for all things fermented. There's everything from sourdough bread to sauerkraut to wine. I found a recipe in the book for Farmer Cheese and thought I'd give it a go. It was quite easy actually and has encouraged me to explore other recipes in this fabulous book.




First you slow boil a gallon of whole milk. You then take it off the heat and slowly stir in some vinegar. The milk quickly curdles.


You strain off the excess liquid.


You salt it and then add herbs. I added herbes de provence because it's my favorite. I put it on almost everything.


You pull up the corners of the cheesecloth and squeeze out the liquid.


Then I put it between two cutting boards and weighted the top one down. This really squeezes out the excess moisture.



Voila! Homemade cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment